05 March 2010

Stuff I Hate About College :(

OK kiddies, so every yin has its yang, which brings be to my next post.... The things about college I'm not so much a fan of. Not that college hasn't been good to me and there will be many things about it that I'll miss, but for the time being I'm just gonna throw out a few things that I won't.

1.) Waiting in lines. Lines for food. Lines for computers. Lines for printing. Lines to pay bills (I mean, I'm giving you money, wouldn't you want to take that as quickly as possible?). Lines for health services. Lines to sign into your room. Lines to sign out. So yeah, college involves lots of lines.

2.) The infamous Freshman Fifteen. or in my case freshman fifty. OK well no, not THAT much, but seriously I really packed it on when I started school. First of all the dining halls are all you can eat. Yum Yum you say? Well I'll agree but the problem there is that generally you go on to eat all you can eat, even if you don't like it, and trust me you'll grow to hate it. Free soft serve ice cream? Come on, that's a no brainer. And after every meal you'll meander on home to then spend a large portion of your evening on the toilet, silently cursing your own lack of self control, thinking, tomorrow is a new day, a better day, full of opportunity to not eat, uh, everything. But alas! The lure of the dining halls is too strong! You succumb and history lives on to repeat itself...

...OK never fear, after a week or two of living away from home and getting used to eating whatever, whenever and how much you want, you'll get over it. Your waist will restore itself to its natural size and all will be right with the world.

3.) There are people freakin everywhere! OK I know this was in the things I love about college too, but there really is a duality to it. Now as previously stated I think its really cool that there are people everywhere, always. It keeps life interesting because people are always doing goofy shit. But sometimes I don't want to be woken up at 2AM on Tuesday night to the people next door doing whipits and screaming whilst playing halo. Sometimes I want to eat dinner in peace and not have to listen to some girl whine about the possibility of her VD test coming back positive. TMI hun! Sometimes I just want to take a dump in private without people roaming in and out to relieve themselves next to me.

4.)Laundry. I don't have an aversion to doing my laundry or anything I've been doing it for years now. What I have an aversion to is walking down 4 flights of stairs, paying $1.50 for a load and then going up and down all the damn stairs again. Now up till this point, other than the price, I can't say I have any serious qualms with dorm laundry. It is now that one must face their greatest laundry adversary- the dryer. The dryers without a doubt will not dry your clothes. It usually takes a couple cycles of this to actually work. maybe. if your lucky. Basically I end up hanging my clothes around my room a la Spanish Harlem. It gets the job done but everything always feels starchy ughhh. So you can either prepare to dump $5-6 on a load, wear gross feeling clothing or venture off campus to a laundromat.

5.) The overall cleanliness (or lack thereof) of dorm life. I have lived in many dorms over the years some nicer (and cleaner) than others. First fallacy I need to clear up- girls are not cleaner than boys, in any capacity. My first semester ever I was stuck on an all girls floor. On top of listening to the high pitched shrieks and squeals that erupted with upsetting frequency from rooms every time The Bachelor was on, the bathrooms and hallways were nasty! I mean what do we not understand about flushing after using it? Or Tampons go in the box? Not the ground, the toilet or the shower. Ughh. Why?! The coed bathrooms I eventually became accustomed to were always way better kept up. Who the hell knows why? Yet another unsolved mystery.

So those are some of the things I am just not going to miss about school. They certainly don't overshadow all the awesome stuff that goes on, but I'll be happy to leave it behind. What do you like or hate about school? Thoughts?

No comments: